Cloud document management: an effective solution for the logistics industry in remote working support and document storage
While the logistics sector was considerably affected at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, a subsequent surge in demand for medical equipment around the world and consumers’ switch to online shopping eventually pushed up demand for logistics services. In the face of more and more orders, logistics companies operating in the traditional way found themselves struggling to cope, since a lot of paperwork and manual approval tasks could not be carried out with employees working from home. These companies could not compete with their peers who had embarked on a digital transformation journey and inevitably they could not survive.
During the pandemic, a well-known international freight company from Taiwan accelerated its pace of digital transformation. Advised by Ricoh’s professional consultants, they adopted DocuWare Cloud Document Management solution to digitise all paper documents. The change has helped save storage space and reduce costs and document processing time, thereby improving work efficiency. The systems have also boosted the client’s capacity to let employees work remotely while greatly improving customer experience, giving them more edge in the industry.
- Paper document management wastes time; manual approval work lacks transparency
- Intelligent indexing and workflow automation improve customer and employee satisfaction
- Words from a Ricoh business consultant
Paper document management wastes time; manual approval work lacks transparency
- Every month the freight company had to handle more than 10,000 paper documents and bills, and the format of the documents varied according to the requirements of different customers. It took them a lot of time to handle and store the documents. Besides, relying on manual input can easily result in errors, and searching a specific document was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Their customers were often unhappy with the long waiting time needed to address order-related queries.
- During the pandemic, employees working from home were unable to handle tasks that involved a great deal of paper documents. Besides, the freight company’s Hong Kong operation would soon be moved to a smaller office, making it impossible to store a huge amount of paper documents and install sizeable storage facilities in a physical space.
- Paper documents, such as bills at the accounting department and leave applications submitted to the human resources department, had to be approved by multiple departments. It was not easy for related employees to track the approval progress. In case of loss of documents in the process of submission, the company might have to make compensations to customers.
Intelligent indexing and workflow automation improve customer and employee satisfaction
- Ricoh’s multi-function copiers, different types of scanners and smart phone camera lenses can digitise paper documents, and the artificial intelligence-driven optical character recognition (OCR) function of DocuWare can accurately identify document types, classify and process the documents. It can also recognise bill numbers and data such as quantities and prices stated in documents of different formats, and store them in databases accordingly.
- The intelligent indexing function of DocuWare can automatically index documents, shorten the time needed to locate documents and improve customers’ satisfaction.
- With Ricoh’s Workflow Automation solution, data can be automatically delivered to designated employees and supervisors as reminders or for approval, thus significantly reducing storage space and human input errors while speeding up workflows.
- Accounting Workflow Automation can speed up approval processes and make sure customers receive bills or pay on time, reducing losses resulting from late receipt of payments or late payments.
- DocuWare is a cloud document management system that comes with a variety of functions. It enables employees to work via their computers or mobile phones and provides them everything they need to work from home effectively.
Words from a Ricoh business consultant
“In the initial stage of digital transformation, the client already resolved most of the issues related to paper documents and remote working. Ricoh’s Workflow Automation is strong on customisation. We carefully analysed the client’s needs. Then we suggested them to automate more day-to-day tasks, such as approving employees’ reimbursement submissions. This way time-consuming manual tasks were simplified. Their employees can also focus on more important tasks.”